Apply schools with CPT programs
Did not win the H1B draw? H1b application got rejected? My OPT is expiring soon. What’s CPT? How to apply and what options do I have? As international students in the United States, we have been the same process. We struggled, but we found some other ways through the difficulties. Here is our experienced advises to help you.
H1b rejected, OPT expires soon, what options do I have?How does CPT work? How to apply for CPT programs and schools without gap?
What is CPT？CPT (Curricular Practical Training): Curricular practical training (CPT) is employment pursuant to an internship requirement or internship elective which is an integral part of the established curriculum of your school, which will be counted towards completion of your degree. – Columbia UniversityHow can students legitimately work under CPT? According to USCIS: F-1 nonimmigrant students participating in CPT are issued three documents that, when presented together, establish identity and employment authorization purposes:
- The student’s unexpired foreign passport
- Form I-20 with the Designated School Official’s endorsement for employment on page 3
- A valid Form I-94 or I-94A indicating F-1 nonimmigrant status
Who is Eligible for CPT?To be eligible for CPT, you must:
- Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year (i.e. two full consecutive terms). If you are a graduate student and the program requires immediate participation, this requirement is waived.
- Be in lawful F-1 status
- Have a job offer
CPT Working Time
- Part-time CPT: Employment for 20 hours or less per week is considered part-time. Though there is no limitation upon the length of time you may participate in part-time CPT, you must be simultaneously enrolled in classes full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status.
- Full-time CPT: Employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time. Please be aware that 12 months or more of full-time CPT will invalidate your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). During the academic year (fall and winter semesters), you must be simultaneously enrolled full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status.
How to apply for CPT?ILIS offers different kinds of CPT programs:
- Full-time CPT on the first day of enrollment.
- Full-time CPT after 90 days of enrollment.
- Classes from once a month to three times per semester.
- Master degrees or certificate programs. *Please note: ESL programs are not legally eligible for CPT insurance.
More Questions? ILIS INC. provides the most comprehensive Q&A about CPT programs and applications for our international students. Here is the newest CPT information.Go to CPT Q&A
Documentation Needed to Apply
- Bachelor transcript and degree
- Master transcript and degree (If applicable)
- WES evaluation report for foreign transcript and degree
- Personal statement
- Letter of reference
- TOEFL or IELTS
- Passport, visa, I-20, I-94
- Bank Statement
- A copy of your job offer letter from the employer letter. The letter must include:
- Company’s letterhead
- Job title
- Detailed job description relating to your prospective major
- Employment address (street, city, state, and zip code)
OPMIOPMI Business School, a New York State Education Department Registered Business School, is located in the heart of downtown Manhattan. It is in close proximity to the Financial District and South Street Seaport.
ITUEstablished in 1994, International Technological University (ITU) provides excellence in education for the future leaders of Silicon Valley corporations, it is located in San Jose, CA.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to know more about how to apply for CPT programs. We will be glad to assist you with any questions you have.