Did not win the H1B draw?
H1b application got rejected?
My OPT is expiring soon.
What’s CPT? How to apply and what options do I have?
As international students in the United States, we have been the same process. We struggled, but we found some other ways through the difficulties. Here is our experienced advises to help you.


How does CPT work? How to apply for CPT programs and schools without gap?


CPT (Curricular Practical Training):
Curricular practical training (CPT) is employment pursuant to an internship requirement or internship elective which is an integral part of the established curriculum of your school, which will be counted towards completion of your degree. – Columbia University

How can students legitimately work under CPT?
According to USCIS:
F-1 nonimmigrant students participating in CPT are issued three documents that, when presented together, establish identity and employment authorization purposes:

  • The student’s unexpired foreign passport
  • Form I-20 with the Designated School Official’s endorsement for employment on page 3
  • A valid Form I-94 or I-94A indicating F-1 nonimmigrant status

–  USCIS, http://www.uscis.gov




To be eligible for CPT, you must:


  1. Have been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year (i.e. two full consecutive terms). If you are a graduate student and the program requires immediate participation, this requirement is waived.
  2. Be in lawful F-1 status
  3. Have a job offer







  1. Part-time CPT: Employment for 20 hours or less per week is considered part-time. Though there is no limitation upon the length of time you may participate in part-time CPT, you must be simultaneously enrolled in classes full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status.
  2. Full-time CPT: Employment for more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time. Please be aware that 12 months or more of full-time CPT will invalidate your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). During the academic year (fall and winter semesters), you must be simultaneously enrolled full-time in order to maintain lawful F-1 status.







ILIS offers different kinds of CPT programs:


  1. Full-time CPT on the first day of enrollment.
  2. Full-time CPT after 90 days of enrollment.
  3. Classes from once a month to three times per semester.
  4. Master degrees or certificate programs.
    *Please note: ESL programs are not legally eligible for CPT insurance.







Go to CPT Q&A




  • Bachelor transcript and degree
  • Master transcript and degree (If applicable)
  • WES evaluation report for foreign transcript and degree
  • Resume
  • Personal statement
  • Letter of reference
  • Passport, visa, I-20, I-94
  • Bank Statement
  • A copy of your job offer letter from the employer letter. The letter must include:
    • Company’s letterhead
    • Job title
    • Detailed job description relating to your prospective major
    • Employment address (street, city, state, and zip code)



Our partner schools that offer CPT include OPMI, ITU, and many more. A brief description of OPMI and ITU are listed below.






OPMI Business School, a New York State Education Department Registered Business School, is located in the heart of downtown Manhattan. It is in close proximity to the Financial District and South Street Seaport.




Established in 1994, International Technological University (ITU) provides excellence in education for the future leaders of Silicon Valley corporations, it is located in San Jose, CA.




Regarding more detailed information about OPMI, ITU, and other schools offering CPT, please contact ILIS.




Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to know more about how to apply for CPT programs. We will be glad to assist you with any questions you have.




DreamGo previous CPT events:
DreamGo Apr 18 CPT event
DreamGo Mar 28 CPT event
DreamGo Mar 14 CPT event





Established in 2009, we are a New York-based educational agency committed to supporting international students with respect to college/high school/language school application, I-20 transfer, Visa application, and CPT/OPT. We counsel an average of above 1,000 students per year, with a stable constantly growing trend. It is our core value to find the right programs for each of our students.





The DreanGo Inc. team visits schools and programs as often as possible to get a realistic idea of what the school has to offer and how it will benefit Chinese and International Students. DreanGo Inc. takes pride in being able to provide support when students need it the most: once they find themsleves in a foreign city.





Since its beginning in 2009, DreamGo INC. has served Chinese students with school applications. However, with more and more global student inquiries, we are now starting to serve international students from all over the word with their school applications, visa applications, CPT, OPT, and much more.


If you would like to know more about us or have any questions about your study in the USA, please do not hesitate to contact us at 646-374-8427 or info@dreamgo.com



New York Head Office Address
404 5th Ave, Suite 5078, New York City, NY 10018

美国Dream Go咨询室

那就先咨询美国Dream Go吧



星期一至 星期五(美国法定假日公休)
Return Top